definition

Here we discuss Music, Movies, Books, and all the incredible Art they inspire.

Monday, July 26, 2010

The Art of the Saints.

Boondock saints by Dale Loos Jr“Oh Lord, raise me to thy right hand and count thee among thy saints.”
-Noah "Il Duce" MacManus, Boondock Saints

The Boondock Saints is a 1999 crime drama, set in modern-day Boston. It was also the inspiration for this addition to my art gallery.

The film follows two Irish brothers (played by Sean Patrick Flannery, and Norman Reedus), who experience a religious epiphany, and set out to rid the fair city of Boston of crime and evil. All the while, being hunted by the Mob, and FBI agent Paul Smecker (Willem Dafoe).

This movie IS one of my favorites (obviously, since I liked it well enough to put into art). But it is also one of those movies you have to see. If for no other reason than to understand what all of the fuss (justifiably) is about.

This movie had a 5 theater release in 1999 (which lasted 1 week). This was due to the Senate Judiciary committee’s crackdown on “violent” movies, in the wake of the Columbine School shootings. The amazing thing is; the cult following actually started on video!.

A few folks saw the little black, unassuming case at their local video store, and decided to take a chance. THEN, most of them, told everyone they knew that they HAD to see this movie (I did this, just so I could talk about it with somebody!). Next thing you know fansites started popping up. And the avalanche of popularity has been rolling ever since.

The DVD had eventually become SO popular, that it’s support had earned a theatrical release on May 22nd 2006, with later screenings being funded by Blockbuster Video itself. The “people” had apparently spoken.

Personally, I’ve never seen anything like it. Several years ago, my girlfriend had bought me a Boondock Saints t-shirt (when they were still hard to find), and I’d never met so many new people in public in my life. Complete strangers were coming up to me starting conversations, touching my shirt, and asking questions. I assume this must be how pregnant women feel when they’re showing.

Theaters and t-shirts aside, I LOVE THIS DVD. It has a few must-see deleted scenes (mom calls from Ireland), and the commentary has a lot to offer as well. I’d gotten a kick out of writer/director Troy Duffy saying, a reason he’d cast Ron Jeremy was because he knew people would recognize him, and never discuss "how", they knew him. HeeHee…Classic.

The sequel left alot to be desired (most sequels do). I guess it’s important to see the next step, But it lacked the heart of the first one. It’s like what I’d told a girl in Subway the other day (I was wearing another Saints shirt), “If you want to see the next chapter, rent All Saint’s Day. If you want to see a great movie like Boondock Saints, watch Suicide Kings.

So, bottom line : Buy Boondock Saints… Rent (or borrow) The sequel… See Suicide Kings (you may buy this one too...I did).

To buy autographed, limited edition 11 x 14 prints of "Brothers, Killers, and Saints" (shown above) -visit my eBaY seller. For custom-sized Art prints and cards visit My Print Gallery at Fine Art America. And for signed, hand-painted originals, go to Affordable Art Gallery

No comments:

Post a Comment